Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Perfect Cupcake

The perfect cupcake always begins with a great cupcake recipe, followed by a great frosting recipe.

Basic Cupcake Recipe
It doesn't get any easier or tastier than this. People always think I make my cupcakes from scratch, but I don't. I simply buy a box of Betty Crocker cake mix and go to it (plain yellow cake mix is my favorite). I follow the directions on the back of the box and the only change I make is I mix all of the ingredients for 7-10 minutes on low/medium speed (I use my big Kitchen Aid mixer and just let it mix). Then I bake the cupcakes per the directions on the box. So simple, yet so good!

Basic Buttercream Recipe
Frosting can either make or break a cupcake. I always get compliments on this particular frosting recipe. Once you start making your own, I highly doubt you will ever go back to the container frosting. At least I never did. This frosting is so much better!! It can get a little messy to make, but it is so worth it in the end! Try for yourself and let me know what you think. I recommend using a big Kitchen Aid mixer if you have one. It will do all of the work for you!

In your mixing bowl combine:
1 cup salted, real butter
1 cup shortening
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I use clear vanilla by Wilton)
1/2 tsp almond extract (also by Wilton) or butter flavoring (by Wilton)
*You can use any flavor you like. I have always used almond or butter, but it would be fun to change it up and use different flavors.
Cream these four ingredients together very well. Then add:
2 lbs powdered sugar (You can purchase 1 lb boxes of powdered sugar)
3-4 Tbsp water (Depending on what consistency you want your frosting to be - I usually add about 3 Tbsp water)
**Important note, before turning on your mixer to mix the sugar, make sure you cover your mixing bowl with a towel to prevent a gigantic poof of powdered sugar all over yourself and your kitchen.
Beat just until lumps are all out and frosting is smooth. Do not overbeat!

This recipe makes approximately 6 cups (Enough to frost and layer an entire cake). I usually only need half of what this recipe makes when I am frosting 24 cupcakes. You can keep the frosting for 3-4 days at room temperature, in the refrigerator for 2 weeks, or in the freezer for quite a long time. Make sure to keep the frosting covered when you are not using it.

Enjoy your perfect cupcakes!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Terrific, Nicole! Beautiful cupcakes. You are very creative!