Sunday, March 14, 2010

Easter Egg Nest Cupcakes

These cupcakes are so cute and yummy, and perfect for Easter. They are incredibly easy to make and the end result is quite impressive. They are made with ganache (a mixture of chocolate and cream) and it is heavenly!

What you will need:
18-24 cupcakes (see basic cupcake recipe)
8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate squares, finely chopped (I used Baker's)
1/2 pint heavy cream
10 oz chocolate, flaked
Bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs (solid milk chocolate with a crisp sugar shell)

To get started, I made my usual cupcake recipe. Once the cupcakes were cooled, I made the ganache (see recipe below) and let it cool for about 5 - 10 minutes. Then, I carefully spooned about 1 Tbsp ganache onto each cupcake, making sure to not put too much, to avoid it spilling over the edges. Next, I took the chocolate shavings and sprinkled a fair amount onto each cupcake. Last, I placed the mini eggs on top.

Recipe for Ganache
8 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate squares, finely chopped
1/2 pint heavy cream
Heat the cream in a small saucepan. Once it reaches a boil, remove it from heat and gently whisk in chocolate. Stir until smooth. Allow to cool for a few minutes before using. You will not use all of the ganache for these cupcakes. You could cut the recipe in half, but I always like to have extra because it can be used for so many other things (ice cream topping, fruit/nut/pretzel dip, cake filling, anything your heart desires). Refrigerate until ready to use, then reheat in microwave or saucepan.

No comments: