Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mini Candy Jars

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always enjoyed making little gifts for people. Nothing fancy or expensive, just simple and sweet. Mostly, I made them for my great grandmas and great aunts. My mom was always helpful and supportive when it came to me wanting to make something. Now as an adult, I have found that I still enjoy doing this....only now, with my children. Last year, we made these hot cocoa cones. They were a lot of fun and super easy to make. This year, we decided to make these little candy jars with recycled baby food jars (*Never throw out baby food jars. They can be used for so many things!). I think they turned out pretty cute. :)

You will need:


baby food jars with lids (any size)
spray paint (your color choice)
kids paint (Crayola makes a great paints)
paintbrush (fine tip works best)
ribbon/rafia
candy

First, spray paint your lids. Depending on the color, you may need another coat. While the lids are drying, get your kiddos ready to paint. We started with the snowman and used their fingertips for the body. While that was drying, we moved on to something else. My daughter chose a wreath and Christmas tree and my son chose hot cocoa with marshmallows (I like his thinking!). The only thing I really helped them with were the snowmen. When all was finished, we added little white dots for snow. When the jars were finished drying, we added the candy, put the lid on and added a little bow...voila! A cute little Christmas jar filled with your favorite holiday candy.

My daughter really enjoyed this activity. It definitely involved patience. My son started out great, but towards the end was ready to be finished. I always love seeing their paintings and drawings. There is just something about kid artwork that makes my heart happy. It is just so sweet and full of life. I love it!

No comments: