Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heart Healthy Cupcakes

These are not my standard cupcakes that I usually make, topped with a ridiculous amount of frosting, but they are equally as good and significantly healthier. I found this recipe in a Family Fun Magazine quite a few years ago. I remember liking them, but had not made them in so long. In an effort to be healthier, I decided to make them the other day, only this time I made some changes (healthier changes) and I couldn't be happier with the result. So happy in fact, the cupcakes were gone within 2 days and not only did I love them, but my kiddos did as well. Here is my adapted version of the recipe:

Heart Healthy Cupcakes
1 cup (8 ounce can) crushed pineapple in its own juice
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 egg white
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely shredded carrots
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of the mixture and drop in the eggs, egg white, oil, honey, vanilla extract, and reserved pineapple juice. Beat at medium speed until blended, about 1 1/2 minutes. With a spoon, stir in the crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, and applesauce. Then spoon the batter into paper baking cups set in muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick stuck in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Remove pan from oven and cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes. Serve warm or cool...either way, they are fantastic!

**I just recently started substituting honey for sugar whenever possible. This is the first time I tried it with this recipe and I really liked using the honey. I couldn't tell a difference. Here is a great link if you're interested in substituting honey into more of your baking. It's a healthier alternative to sugar.

No comments: